Want to Participate?
*This program is no longer active. However, the radio broadcast segments from this program series are available.
Southern Illinois Wonders is currently on hiatus, but the possibility that it might resume in the future remains open.
Anyone who wishes to suggest a potential topic for and/or participate in a possible future iteration of Southern Illinois Wonders is welcome to contact coordinator Matt Meacham at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.422.5589.
2014 Radio Segments
Southern Illinois Wonders was broadcast on WSIU 91.9 FM in Carbondale and its affiliates, WUSI 90.3 FM in Olney and WVSI 88.9 FM in Mount Vernon. The programs are available below in streaming audio form. Additionally, the Keep Learning section, which provides contextual information, commentary, and access to online resources about the topics and themes of the programs, remains available below as an educational resource.
- John James Audubon with Brian ‘Fox’ Ellis (Aired: May 28, 2014)
- Civil War Letters from Liberty with Judy Simpson and Aaron Lisec (Aired: May 21, 2014)
- Literary Paranoia with Laura Benedict (Aired: May 14, 2014)
- The Southern Baptist Division of 1993 with Ryan Burge (Aired: May 7, 2014)
- Gary DeNeal Poetry with Hugh DeNeal (Aired: April 30, 2014 )
- Moonshining: Open for Business with Karen Binder (Aired: April 23, 2014)
- My Catholic Community with Father Joseph Brown (Aired: April 16, 2014)
- Metropolis – Steamboat Central? with Bob Swenson (Aired: April 9, 2014)
- The Farmers’ Movement of 1873 with Jane Adams (Aired: April 2, 2014)
- A Team Apart with Judy Travelstead (Aired: March 26, 2014)
- The Underground Railroad featuring Carol Pirtle (Aired: March 19, 2014)
- Egypt featuring Mike Jones (Aired: March 12, 2014)
We hope students, teachers, and anyone interested in the topics and themes of the Southern Illinois Wonders broadcasts will find the following educational and informational resources useful: