Gwendolyn Brooks Youth Poetry Awards 2018
Illinois Humanities and the Poetry Foundation are partnering in 2018 to host the second year of the Gwendolyn Brooks Youth Poetry Awards (GBYPA) The statewide contest was administered by the Illinois Poet Laureate from 1970 until her passing in 2000 and revived in 2017 in celebration of the centennial of her birth.
Here are the basics on this year’s contest:
- This contest is open to young people from Kindergarten through 12th grade across the state of Illinois.
- Students can be at schools (public, private, home, etc.) or other institutions.
- There is a limit of one poem per student.
- Poems cannot exceed 16 lines for poems submitted by K-5th graders and cannot exceed 50 lines for 6-12th graders.
- Students can enter on their own or have a parent or teacher submit their entry.
- The deadline for submissions is Sunday, June 17, 11:59 PM.
- Contest winners will be notified by Monday, July 30th.
- Winners will be honored at an event to take place at the Poetry Foundation on Saturday, August 25th.
- All entries must be the original work of the student.