Position: Program Manager: Media & Journalism and Business
Reports To: Director of Programs
Launched: August 25, 2017
Illinois Humanities seeks a dynamic individual to develop and execute public humanities programming in the areas of media & journalism and business. The state affiliate for the National Endowment for the Humanities, Illinois Humanities seeks to strengthen society by fueling inquiry and conversation about the ideas and works that shape our culture in the areas of public policy, media & journalism, business, art, education, and access.
Illinois Humanities’ media & journalism programs specifically work to strengthen connections, foster dialogue, and generate collaboration between media and the communities they cover. Existing media & journalism programs that support this mission include a downstate journalism fellowship for emerging journalists and the annual People-Powered Publishing. Our business programs work to increase the quality and breadth of civic dialogue about the role of business in public life. A successful candidate for the PROGRAM MANAGER: MEDIA & JOURNALISM and BUSINESS position will sustain and strengthen existing programs while also developing, executing, and evaluating new programs in close collaboration with the Illinois Humanities program staff. To do so, a successful candidate will provide thought leadership and expand an existing network of academics and practitioners in the field of media & journalism and related to business and the economy.
The PROGRAM MANAGER: MEDIA & JOURNALISM and BUSINESS reports to the Director of Programs and works collaboratively with the program staff. The PROGRAM MANAGER also assists the Director of Advancement in securing support for media & journalism and business programs. Illinois Humanities values collegiality, diversity, and flexibility. Illinois Humanities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of existing and new media & journalism and business programs that support Illinois Humanities’ overall mission and strategy
- Assist Director of Advancement in developing a plan to fund the growth and expansion of media & journalism and business programming, including but not limited to generating ideas for grant opportunities, meeting with prospective donors, and providing information necessary for the completion of proposals and reports to grantors.
- Develop an annual budget and program plan for media & journalism and business programs.
- Maintain relationships with scholars and practitioners in the field of media & journalism and business
- Identify strategic areas in these fields and engage appropriate stakeholders in addressing them.
- Develop and implement plans for increasing outreach and expanding audience for media & journalism and business programs in Chicago and across Illinois.
- Represent Illinois Humanities to the public and contribute to promotional materials, legislative materials, website features, annual reports, etc. as needed.
- Work collegially with other Illinois Humanities staff to support media & journalism programs and business.
- Staff Illinois Humanities programs in other focus areas and board committee meetings as directed.
- 5-7 years of related experience
- Understanding and commitment to the mission of Illinois Humanities
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the history and current practices in Media & Journalism and Business in Society.
- Current and extensive network of media associations in Chicago and across Illinois.
- Ability to work in and with diverse communities and organizations (socio-economic, racial, ethnic, ideological, etc.).
- Demonstrate experience in leading a major new initiative; developing partnerships; inspiring staff; engaging the board; and identifying strategic issues.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team.
- Experience and flexibility in planning and implementing programs and working on multiple programs simultaneously.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and a positive manner in dealing with people.
- Ability to use standard office software and social media platforms.
- Undergraduate degree in the liberal arts humanities, or a related field; MA preferred.
- Salary range from $50,000 to $55,000
- Excellent benefits package
Illinois Humanities is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its many forms.
Send a cover letter, CV/resume, and names and contact information for 3 references to Search@ILHumanities.org. References will not be contacted unless candidates reach the finalist level. The subject line should say: Illinois Humanities Search for Program Manager followed by your last name.”
Position will remain open until it is filled.