View this event and others in the Future Perfect series on-line or on television via the Illinois Channel.
Genetic testing can give us information about our future children’s health and quality of life, but raises the specter of genetic engineering and its moral and ethical complications. Once we can screen for certain characteristics, will we start to screen out human diversity? How do we make private and public decisions about potentially modifying the makeup of our families and the general population?
- James Bowman, M.D., Professor Emeritus, Departments of Pathology and Medicine, Committees on Genetics and African and African-American Studies, The University of Chicago
- Kristi L. Kirschner, M.D., Medical Director, Women with Disabilities Center; Director, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Donnelley Family Disability Ethics Program; Associate Professor, Medical Humanities and Bioethics at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- David T. Mitchell, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Disability and Human Development and Interdisciplinary, Doctoral Program in Disability Studies, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Kelly Ormond, MS, CGC, Associate Professor and Director, Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling, Northwestern University (moderator)
- Bonnie Steinbock, Ph.D, Professor, Department of Philosophy, University at Albany, SUNY; fellow of the Hastings Center, and a member of the Ethics Committee of the American Society For Reproduction And Medicine
This event is presented in partnership withAccess Living,the American Medical Association, the National Society of Genetic Counselors and the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.
Reservations required. Reservations can be made on-line, via email, or by calling 312.422.5580.
If you need a sign interpreter,require other arrangements,to fully participate, or for more information, please call 312.422.5580.
For parking locations near the facility, please visit Chicago Parking Map.com.
Keep Learning with Selected Resources
Keep Talking at the Future Perfect blog