In southern Illinois, we are all connected by the Mississippi watershed and the Ohio River system and the choices we make about how we use water at the regional, local and personal level affect all of us.
What are the main water demands in southern Illinois and how do we decide how those demands are met? Can the history of water law in southern Illinois be helpful in addressing current issues with water supply and demand? What are the ethical issues inherent in the conflict between the short term needs of people and the long term needs of the environment and of future generations?
We All Live Downstream will raise key questions about how we access and control water in southern Illinois.
This event will feature an excerpt from Running Dry, the film inspired by Senator Paul Simon’s book, Tapped Out: The Coming World Crisis in Water and What We Can Do About It.
- Ben Dziegielewski, Ph.D. – Professor, Department of Geography and Environmental Resources, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Christopher Lant, Ph.D. – Professor, UCOWR Executive Director, Environmental
Resources and Policy Co-director, Department of Geography and Environmental Resources, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Joe Stuart, former official with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
- Robert Beck, LL.M. – Professor Emeritus at Southern Illinois University Carbondale Law School
- Patricia Jean Simon – Volunteer, Paul Simon Public Policy Institute at Southern Illinois University Carbondale (moderator)
This event is free and open to the public. Reservations are not required. For more information, email Kay Rippelmeyer-Tippy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This event is presented in partnership with the Southern Illinois University Carbondale Department of Geography and Environmental Resources and the Paul Simon Public Policy Institute.
Lead sponsorship for All-Consuming is provided by the Motorola Foundation and The Boeing Company, with additional support provided by Illinois American Water.
Chicago Public Radio and Illinois Channel are the media sponsors.