From “Why Economists are United Against the Fiscal Cliff” by Christopher Matthews
“One of the truths revealed by the debate over the fiscal cliff is that lawmakers in Washington are in bitter disagreement over the cause of and solution to our economic malaise….With the recent deal over the fiscal cliff, however, a strange thing happened: Despite the fact that many of these camps’ ideas are in direct opposition with one another, the final deal ended up satisfying nobody — causing economists across the ideological spectrum to declare the deal a dud.”
Questions for Consideration
What’s your understanding of the fiscal cliff deal and how will it impact you? Who benefits from the deal? How worried are you about the federal debt? How can elected officials better inform the public about the economy?
Want to learn more?
- President Obama’s paradoxical presentation on the ‘fiscal cliff’ deal
- Fiscal Cliff Deal: Will You Pay More or Less Taxes Next Year?
- The Bottom Line: What the Fiscal Cliff Deal Really Means for Taxes and Spending
- Paul Krugman: Fiscal Cliff Is “No Way To Run A Country’
- Who won in the fiscal cliff deal?
Free and open to the public. For more information please call 312.422.5580.
If you need a sign interpreter or require other arrangements to fully participate, please call 312.422.5580. For parking locations near the facility, please visit ChicagoParkingMap.com.