Café Society will meet at the Ron’s Barber Shop on Friday, May 13
From “Dr. King, Misrepresented Quotes, & the Celebration of Death” by Jonathan Lykes
“I understand the magnitude of the situation; therefore I do not wish to deride those who choose to take pride in Osama Bin Laden’s death. But…I stand by the sentiments of a great leader who preached that love was the greatest weapon any one could ever hold. And I stand by the thousands of tweeters and Facebookers, who were so eager to share their compassion with the world, that they posted an inaccurate quote.”
Questions for Consideration
What do you think of the various reactions to Osama Bin Laden’s death? How has or hasn’t justice been served? What will this mean for the “War on Terror”? What effect does Mr. Bin Laden’s death have on Americans’ sense of safety? What do you make of misrepresentations of quotes or other news that can be spread quickly via new media technology?
Want to find out more?
- The financial cost of bin Laden: (At least) $1.3 trillion
- Killing Bin Laden
- “USA! USA!” is the wrong response
- Has the US ever announced an assassination like this before?
- If Other Government Institutions Were as Effective as the Defense Department…
- The Ability to Kill Osama Bin Laden Does Not Make America Great