From “Obama emphasizes economic benefits of immigration overhaul “ by Andy Sullivan
“President Barack Obama emphasized the economic benefits of overhauling the country’s immigration laws in his State of the Union speech on Tuesday as he urged Congress to send him legislation to sign into law in the next few months. In a speech largely focused on job creation, Obama said the United States could strengthen its economy by attracting more high-tech workers from overseas and establishing a pathway to citizenship for those who entered the country illegally.”
Questions for Consideration
Why do the country’s immigration laws need to be changed? What does a comprehensive immigration reform bill look like? How will a pathway to citizenship help our economy? What do you think about President Obama’s position that immigrants “wait in the back of the line”? What is it like for immigrants waiting to enter the country?
Want to learn more?
- Obama on immigration: We know what needs to be done (video)
- Lessons from Our Past Should Light the Path of Immigration Reform
- Immigration reform: Congress, Obama, and public are not so far apart
- Immigration reform critics fear citizenship pathway will spark rush to cross border
- Immigration Reform Prevents Employer Abuse
Free and open to the public. For more information please call 312.422.5580.
If you need a sign interpreter or require other arrangements to fully participate, please call 312.422.5580. For parking locations near the facility, please visit ChicagoParkingMap.com.