Join us for our 6th Annual “El Día de los Niños/El Día de los Libros” (The Day of the Children / The Day of the Books) celebration.
Attendees will enjoy music, dancing, food, crafts, and fun throughout the Library from 11am-1pm.
The first Dia celebrations were held in New Mexico and Texas. The celebration is now in its 16th year nationally, and its 6th year in Bloomington.
As plans were made for the first El Diá de los Niños / El Diá de los Libros, five goals emerged:
- Honor children and childhood;
- Promote literacy and the importance of linking all children to books, languages and cultures;
- Honor home languages and cultures, thus promoting bilingual and multilingual literacy in this multicultural nation while promoting global understanding through reading;
- Involve parents as valued members of the literacy team;
- Promote library collection development that reflects our nation’s plurality.
The event is a supplement to the McClean County Museum of History’s latest exhibit called Fiesta! A Celebration of Mexican Popular Arts. The exhibit, which opened in September and runs through August 2014, explores the popular art of Mexico.
For more information, please call (309) 827-0428. Photo by David Proeber.