What are the intersections of opportunity and discrimination in the lives of Black youth? What steps are necessary to help reshape the future of young Black Americans and American democracy?
Join us for this important conversation with award-winning scholar Cathy Cohen about her timely new book, Democracy Remixed. Plus, hear from a panel of local and national leaders working with Black youth in Chicago and nationwide.
This intergenerational conversation will launch a series of programs commemorating The Public Square’s 10 year anniversary. A reception and book-signing will follow the program.
- Cathy Cohen, author of Democracy Remixed and The Boundaries of Blackness
- Bakari Kitwana, author of The Hip Hop Generation and Why
- Biko Baker, Executive Director of the League of Young Voters
- Rosa Clemente, community organizer, radio journalist, hip hop activist and a 2008 Vice-Presidential candidate with the Green Party
- Dara Cooper (moderator), Chicago activist with Ella’s Daughters, Rising In Solidarity with Ayiti, and Healthy Food Hub
- Kenyon Farrow, former Executive Director of Queers for Economic Justice, writer, organizer, speaker
- Angie Fresco, youth organizer for Southside Together Organized for Power (STOP) and poetry coordinator for Southwest Youth Collaborative
- FM Supreme, hip hop artist, educator, and talent manager for Young Chicago Authors
Sponsored by the Black Youth Project; The Public Square, a program of the Illinois Humanities Council; Center for the Study of Race, Politics and Culture at the University of Chicago; Gender and Women’s Studies Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago, and WBEZ 91.5FM.
Co-sponsored by Affinity, Chicago Freedom School, Chicago Hip Hop Civic Engagement Project, Institute for Research on Race and Public Policy, Chicago Votes, Southwest Youth Collaborative, and Teachers for Social Justice
If you need a sign interpreter or require other arrangements to fully participate, please call 312.422.5580. For parking locations near the facility, please visit ChicagoParkingMap.com.