Chicago Shakespeare Theater Artistic Director Barbara Gaines will receive the Council’s 2007 Public Humanities Award. Given annually, this award recognizes individuals and organizations for their contributions to public understanding of the role the humanities play in transforming lives and strengthening communities.
Barbara Gaines is Artistic Director and founder of Chicago Shakespeare Theater, where she has directed more than 30 of Shakespeare’s plays. Her work has been honored with Jeff Awards for Best Production (Hamlet, The Tale of Cymbeline, and King Lear) and for Best Director (The Tale of Cymbeline and King Lear).
In 2006, Ms. Gaines was awarded the prestigious Honorary OBE (Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) in recognition of her contributions to strengthening British-American cultural relations.
Ms. Gaines serves on the Shakespearean Council of Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London and on Northwestern University’s Board of Trustees. She is a member of the Cultural Affairs Advisory Board for the City of Chicago, and has served on panels for the National Endowment for the Arts.
Registration starts at 11:30 AM. The Luncheon begins at Noon.
For tickets and sponsorship opportunities, including the purchase of tables, please call Maria Onesto at (312) 258-0447 or complete and return the 2007 Public Humanities Award Benefit Luncheon Donor Reply form.
- $10,000 and up: Visionary–Receive a table for 10, premier listing in the program* and on the Council’s website: www.prairie.org, and be announced from the podium.
- $5,000 and up: Benefactor–Receive a table for 10,listing in the program* and on the Council’s website: www.prairie.org, and be announced from the podium.
- $2,500 and up: Sponsor–Receive a table for 10,listing in the program* and on the Council’s website: www.prairie.org.
- $1,250 and up: Sponsor–Receive a table for 10,listing in the program* and on the Council’s website: www.prairie.org.
- $600: Supporters will receive 2 tickets and be listed on the Benefit Committee in the program*.
*All contributions received by February 20, 2007 will be listed in the invitation, and all contributions received by April 16, 2007 will be listed in the program.
All proceeds from the luncheon will support the Illinois Humanities Council. For more information about the IHC, please call 312.422.5580.